TWO Droitwich sports clubs have teamed up to purchase a life-saving defibrillator for a busy area of the town.
Droitwich Spa Cricket Club and Droitwich Spa Boys and Girls FC split the cost of the device which has been installed at St Peter’s Fields, the ground they both share.
The park is also a popular thoroughfare for dog walkers, parents and children attending St Peter’s School and parishioners of St Peter’s Church.
It is also used by people as a route into town or to the Lido.
The clubs were prompted to purchase the defibrillator following an incident when a member of the public collapsed whilst walking his dog during a Friday night junior cricket training session in Summer 2016.
“Thankfully it happened on a busy evening and there were people present who were able to administer CPR until the air ambulance arrived, landed on the pitch and took the man to hospital,” said Mike Wallis, the cricket club’s head of junior Cricket.
“He survived but it made both clubs think what could happen if a similar incident occurred when there were less people around.
“Thousands of people must use St Peter’s Fields – not only both clubs’ own playing members and the various visiting teams, but other Droitwich residents for their own recreational use.”
Although training is not required to operate the defibrillator, the clubs are planning to stage some sessions in the clubhouse to show how it is used which it hopes townsfolk who use the area regularly might like to attend.
“Hopefully no-one will ever have to call upon the defibrillator but some reassurance can now be provided by the fact it is there if needed and could potentially save lives,” added Nick West, vice-chairman of the football club.
“If anyone would like to make a donation towards its cost – no matter how big or small – these will be gratefully received.
“The clubs can then recoup some of their funds used to buy the defibrillator and put them back towards providing sporting opportunities for people of all ages and abilities in Droitwich.”
Email email@example.com to donate.