FIREFIGHTERS are reminding people in Worcestershire to be safe when having barbecues.
Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) said it had attended a number of outdoor fires over the last two weeks due to the warmer weather.
A spokesperson at the service said: “As lockdown eases, and the weather gets warmer, it is tempting to have barbecues and spend time outside.
“However, the danger of barbecuing is multiplied when you are away from a home environment.
“Nevertheless, even when you are barbecuing at home, you should be extra vigilant and follow safety advice to ensure your barbecue is a safe and an enjoyable event.”
If barbecues are not used safely flames can spread to surrounding sheds, fences and trees.
HWFRS is asking people to avoid using open fires in the countryside, keep young children and ball games away from fire, only use barbecues in suitable and safe areas and never leave them unattended.
“Always ensure the barbecue is fully extinguished and cold before disposing of the contents,” added the spokesperson.
“And if you are having a bonfire, make sure it is well away from buildings, fences, trees and garden structures.
“Don’t light a bonfire on a windy day and never use flammable liquids such as petrol or paraffin.”
Firefighters recommend having a garden hose ready in case of an emergency, and always pour water over embers to ensure the fire is fully extinguished.
If a fire should get out of hand, call 999.