Promotion party put on hold as Droitwich Spa held to 2-2 draw by Paget Rangers - The Droitwich Standard

Promotion party put on hold as Droitwich Spa held to 2-2 draw by Paget Rangers

Droitwich Editorial 12th Apr, 2017 Updated: 12th Apr, 2017   0

DROITWICH Spa’s plans to celebrate promotion were put on hold as they came from behind to draw 2-2 with Paget Rangers.

The Midland League Division Two leaders went ahead after 18 minutes when Jack Allerton’s long-range effort went in off the inside of the post.

But two goals in the space of three minutes from Dan Carter put Boldmere-based Paget 2-1 ahead before the break.

However, Matthew Hunt ensured it was honours even at the Trevor Brown Memorial Ground as the defender headed home Smith’s free-kick.

The Saltmen now only need a point in their final home game of the season against Alvis Sporting Club to secure promotion to Division One.

Paget though cannot afford any more slip-ups if they wish to overhaul Spa who sit 18 points clear having played five games more.

But Paget came within a whisker of taking the lead after six minutes when Jeorge Smith saw a long-range effort cannon off the inside of the post and away to safety.

Spa’s Louis Bridges missed a gilt-edged chance six minutes later when he headed straight at Paget keeper Josh Benton with the whole goal to aim at.

But the visitors eventually got the breakthrough as Nick Seabourne held the ball up well before laying it into the path of Allerton’s whose curling effort hit the inside angle of the crossbar and bounced into the back of the net.

A flying save from Spa keeper Matt Oliver then denied Gary Turner’s low drive two minutes later but with seven minutes of the half remaining the hosts were level.

Ryan Conlon’s cross from the right was not dealt with and there was Carter who made no mistake from six yards out.

After 41 minutes Oliver did well to save Ross Dempsters pile-driver but the shot was too hot to handle and Carter capitalised on the rebound to make it 2-1 before the break.

Following the interval, the Saltmen came out all guns blazing and their pressure was rewarded after 52 minutes when Smith’s free-kick was met by Hunt at the back post who found the far corner.

Oliver was then called upon once more on the hour mark as he tipped over Smith’s long-range shot before Dempster fired just wide of the area a minute later.

Seabourn then saw a volley from just inside the area go agonisingly wide of the far post moments later.

A super save from Oliver then prevented Mark Bellingham’s header from firing the hosts ahead with 20 minutes left to play.

Dempster then saw a volley go over the bar for Paget who failed to make the most of their chances, giving Spa a valuable point in their question for promotion.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Droitwich Standard.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.